Sunday, April 10, 2011

Howdy ho neighbor!

Hey guys this week was pretty meh, but at least I got to end it with conference, whoo hoo! Since we're a day ahead in New Zealand they play conference the following week so we don't have to watch it Sunday and Monday. I think my favorite quote from all of conference came from L. Tom Perry when he said "When I drink of my little sacrement cup I cannot help but feel so thankful that my Savior was willing to drink of the bitter cup of my sins and pain." Something else that stood out to me was the many talks on revelation and how often it comes slowly and not all at once. Ballard likened it to collecting small flakes of gold, Uchtdorf likened it to a puzzle received one piece at a time and Bednar likened it to the slow and steady rising of the sun. So don't get down if you haven't had a sudden enlightening experience because you still have a testimony.
As for what I specifically did this week, well not a whole lot out of the ordinary happened apart from Wednesday. Wednesday I had one of the Zone Leaders in our area for a trade off for the day. It was little upsetting because we had the whole day planned stacked full of appointments and they all fell through except 2 so the whole day pretty much was spent tracting with a ZL. Of the 2 lessons we did have that day the ZL cut one off early so we could run back to the flat so he could go to the bathroom cause he has a small/weak bladder so I was a little upset at him. In my anger I lost my inhibitions so our next lesson I told the couple that they had to get married because they were breaking the law of chastity and angering God and they couldn't expect the blessings of the Spirit to be a part of their lives until they were married or split up. The ZL later said he thought it was good how blunt I was with them because it's something they have to face and focus on but really I was just being angry.
Later I asked what his dad did and he said he was writing a book. Our conversation then went something like this:
Me: "That's cool. Hope it does well when it's published."
ZL: "Oh I already know it'll do awesome."
Me:"How do you know that?"
ZL: "Well he's spent 15 years writing it."
Me: "So? Just because you spend a lot of time on something doesn't mean it'll be any better. One time I spent a half hour going to the bathroom but in the end it was still crap."
I had originally meant it to be something mean but then it had surprised me how fast I had come up with it so I started laughing and then the ZL started laughing too.
Only one more thing of note happened that day. While we were biking home a fat lady yelled at us "You suck!" so I turned around and rode up her driveway to confront her. She had 2 guys with her so when I rode up I put on a smile and asked "What are you guys up?" One of the guys just laughed and said they were waiting for their beer and then I told them that Elder Sessions (the ZL) and I were missionaries from one of the local churches. Before I could say anything else the fat chick said "We don't like to talk about s***." I kept on smiling and said "Awesome, neither do I! I'm so glad we are on the same page and can talk about better, more important things." Before I could say anymore (and believe me, I wanted to) Elder Sessions told the people that we may see them and then told me to come on home. Meh. As we got back on our bikes the fat chick had one more thing to say: "You're gay." I just laughed and said homosexuality was actually a sin and if she ever needed to learn more of sins she was committing that I'd be in the area. This was like the only sincerely rude person I've run into in New Zealand so far.
Sorry this week wasn't all that spiritual. I gotta go now, I'll be sure to have better things to share next week.
Love yous!
Elder Big Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment